Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Holi - Is it Holy Anymore?


Holi, the festival of colours, brings a very vibrant image to my mind. Colours, gulal, old clothes, pichkaris, water balloons, and the all time favourite mithais! :) Oh Yummy! I remember Mom used to smear oil all over me , before sending me downstairs! But, all this was of the past! I also remember how my grandmoms (both maternal and paternal) used to make lovely sweets..Gujiyas, mysore paks..I am drooling! A few months ago, while going to college, my friend narrated an incident to which was very disturbing. While she was in Class 10th, playing Holi, 3 drunken men , on a scooter, came and stopped beside her. One of them unmounted the scooter, and kissed her and went away.  By kissed , i mean Smooching. She hasn't played Holi since then. Like the minds of bloody idiots, Holi has also been sabotaged now! People , rowdy ones, use it as a great opportunity to abuse woman, touch them in an objectionable way and god knows what! The HOLY festival of how a boy wins over by his intelligence, belief in Lord Vishnu and honesty has now been changed into ANOTHER reason to abuse woman. I don't want to elaborate on how these maniacs do it, because then I feel I will be encouraging this behaviour. I hope these people's rotten minds get some fresh air and they change.
False Hopes, I know.

And also, I would like to wish you a Happy Holi! :) I hope you donot use harmful chemicals in the name of colour! Because saying, "Bura na mano Holi Hai" (please don't mind, it's Holi), is not enough!

5 comments:

अविनाश said...

wishing u & ur family a very happy holi...Let the colors of Holi spread the message of peace and happiness

Njoy!!

Anonymous said...

strong opinion expressed beuatifully girl! I am with you on this..

happy holi to you too Appu.. *hugs*

IceMaiden said...

seriously!!!! i hav heard so many instances lik these... utterly pathetic.. i wish i cud catch hold of soem of these men n giv them a sound thrashing..!!! bloody ^%$^%!@#^...

bt on a calmer note, happy holi to u. for me atleast holi now jus means, watching everythng from teh safe side of the window.. :)

Miss Sunshine said...

@Avinash
thnx a lot! same to you! :)

@Kajal
thnx so much! happy holi to u! <3

@Annie
yeah, today i am gonna do this only..somehow i don't feel like playing!

Ashrita said...

Sad but true! What can we do! Except kick those guys in their freaking nuts x(

P.S. I love Mysore Pak!